The filed income tax return status with the Income Tax Department of India referred to as the ITR status. It reveals if your submitted return processed, and accepted, or whether any additional steps still needed.
In this article, we will bring you a detailed process to know the Income Tax Return status and help you to know how to find the status to get your excess paid taxes for a financial year.
There are some usual return statuses that may viewed while checking the status, “Return Submitted,” “Return Received and Under Processing,” “Return Processed,” “Refund Issued,” and “Defective Return.”
Income Tax Return Status
One should have their PAN Card number and as well their password set for the income tax filing, to check the status. Below is the detailed step-wise process to help you understand the process for a refund check.
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s official website incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/
- Click Login at top right
- Using your User ID (PAN) and password, access your account.
- When you log in, you ought to see a button that says “View Return/Forms.” Just click it.
- Select the assessment year for which you wish to view the status of the return.
- The status of your return once you’ve decided on the assessment year.
- If your IT return successfully processed, is still undergoing processing, or has any other important status, it may indicate that.
If you’ve everify income tax return, you can check the status of the e-verification to make sure it was successful.
What is the processing time for Income tax return status?
The complexity of your return and the department’s workload are two variables that can affect processing time. Processing a return typically takes a few weeks to a few months.
What should I do if the status of my return doesn’t change for a while?
You can call the Income Tax Department’s customer care helpline or go to your local Income Tax Office to find out the status of your returns and any potential delays if it hasn’t changed after a long period of time.
Can the status of Income tax returns filed in past years may check or not?
Yes, you can use the same techniques described above to verify the status of returns filed in past years. You can check the status of returns for various assessment years using the online site.